There are many ways to ensure that you can enjoy your Eco friendly family holidays with kids, here are some top tips to make your family holiday with kids a little more eco friendly.
1. Avoid take away food – and the food waste that generally comes with it – by packing lunches and booking accommodation with a kitchen so you can prepare home-cooked meals, is oneway to ensure that you have a Eco friendly family holidays. Kids are usually overly ambitious when ordering food in a restaurant but rarely finish it. If you do eat out – insist they order from the kids’ menu.
2. Don’t use bottled water. We always take our own stainless steel drink bottles to avoid having to purchase bottled water. It also saves arguments about whether or not they are allowed soft drinks.There is far too much plastic polluting our oceans so it’s best to avoid single use plastic containers whenever possible.
3. Drive a fuel-efficient car. We drove a diesel Ford Territory from Sydney to Coffs Harbour on one tank with plenty to spare – and that’s with a carload of kids and their paraphernalia.
4. Minimise your washing (and use of the dryer). Make sure the kids use the same towels over and over and hang their swimmers up. If you do need to use the washing machine while on the road – I highly recommend taking an Ecowasbal. These marvelous inventions replace soap powder in your washing machine and are much kinder to the environment.
5. Take your own shopping bags – and refuse plastic bags when offered them at those pesky souvenir shops.
6. Walk – leave the car behind when you can and take in the scenery. The Aussie coatline is surrounded by beautiful beaches and rainforest walks to enjoy. Encouraging your kids to appreciate the natural world that surrounds them will give them incentive to help protect it.
7. Visit animal sanctuaries and zoos – and talk to the keepers. They are always a wealth of knowledge about animal conservation, always passionate about their charges and can be inspiring role models for kids.